Coconut milk comes from the flesh of a ripe coconut, most typically by grating the coconut flesh and squeezing it in a cheesecloth. It’s different from coconut water in that the water comes from coconuts when they are still green and their water content is high, before larger amounts of flesh are formed. It takes a bit of effort to get at it, but the benefits, beyond the great taste, make it worth it.
Benefits of Coconut Milk
• Coconut milk is a rich source of calcium, minerals, vitamin, potassium and chloride.
• It contains saturated fat known as lauric acid. There are plenty of benefits of lauric acid like brain development as well as bone health. These are medium-chain fatty acids which are very efficiently converted into energy by the body. This also means that coconut milk can help you in losing weight
• It boosts the immune system as it contains anti-viral, anti-bacteria, anti-carcinogenic and anti-microbial properties which will also help you fight off the various common infections like the cold and flu.
• Helps reduce the risk of diseases like heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and skin cancer.
• It can alleviate sore throats as well as stomach ulcers.
• Prevents and treats dry dull skin as well rashes. It is also used to moisturize dry scalp and dull hair.
With so many benefits of coconut milk drink it straight up, use it as a dessert topping, or fall in love with its amazing ice cream abilities like we did!